Sunday, November 20, 2011

Playground Love

I’ve been thinking alot about my book series I’m trying to write. Digging through my memories of what my high school years consisted of. No school uniforms was a blessing attending school in Canada and despite what you may see in the movies, not all high schools were filled with the clearly defined stereotypical groups. Mine sure wasn’t anyway. I found that mostly talking to the less popular kids was more my thing than trying to fit into the popular crowd. Having your first high school crush and whether or not to ask that guy out, trying to pass chemistry class and failing with enthusiasm no matter how hard you tried to compromise with the teacher or just trying not to forget your locker combination. My years of high school consisted of Dawson’s Creek, Buffy The Vampire Slayer on YTV on Saturday nights, The Spice Girls on repeat, Leonardo DiCaprio became a full fledged heartthrob and occupied my bedroom wall, calling mean boys at school wankers, American Pie & the teen horror genre revisited the cinema, wearing platform sneakers, flared Tommy Hilfiger jeans and cutting my own hair short following Cameron Diaz’ in There’s Something about Mary. Yes.. that made a great yearbook photo… One thing I am utterly proud of in my high school career is that I passed drama class with flying colours and always wrote my own material, except for my directing final which i got top marks. I’m also proud that i didn't trip on stage at the graduation ceremony. I think I survived pretty good.

No comments: